Stamp collecting has been around for hundreds of years, since 1840 when the first stamp of Great Britain was issued. A stamp collector is a person who collects postage stamps. Although the collection of stamps is popular with many people; it is time-consuming and becomes expensive when you have a large collection.
There are many people who have a stamp collection but do not know what to do with it. This blog will give you some ideas about what to do with old stamp collection.
The stamp collector’s dilemma
The stamp collector’s dilemma is a basic idea that we spend as much effort collecting stamps as we do anything else in life, so we might as well spend our time doing something we get more rewards from. This is used to solve the “paradox of value” (that people will spend time on things that don’t seem to benefit them).
The best way to make money from your stamp collection is to sell the collection as a whole. Some people choose to sell their stamps one by one; for you, that can be very troublesome and time-consuming. But how do you find the valuable stamps in your collection?
How to mine the rare stamps?
There are several ways to go about mining for rare stamps. Here are ten of the best:
- Join a stamp club: You may even be able to find some rare stamps through the club.
- Attend stamp shows and conventions: The best way to see a wide variety of stamps and to meet other collectors.
- Join an online stamp community: You may be able to find some quality stamps through an online community.
- Get a stamp catalogue: This is a great way to familiarize yourself with the different types of stamps that are available.
- Collect stamps from different countries: This is a great way to add and find stamps from different countries.
- Collect stamps from different eras: This is a great way to add history to your collection.
- Collect stamps from different themes: This is a great way to add interest to your collection.
- Get a stamp album: This is a great way to organize your collection.
- Study stamp collecting: This is a great way to learn about the hobby.
- Ask a stamp dealer: This is a great way to get advice on a hobby.
10 Amazing Ideas of what to do with old stamp collection
1. Donate your old stamp collection to a local school or library. Many children are interested in stamp collecting and would love to have a stamp collection to call their own.
2. Use your old stamps to decorate your home. Frame them and hang them on the walls or use them to decorate picture frames, mirrors, or other home decor items.
3. Give your old stamps to a friend or family member who is interested in collecting stamps. They will be thrilled to receive such a unique and thoughtful gift.
4. Sell your old stamp collection. There are many stamp collectors out there who would love to add your collection to their own. You could also sell your stamps online or at a stamp collecting convention.
5. Use your old stamps to make crafts. There are many fun and creative projects you can do with old stamps, such as making greeting cards, scrapbooks, or art projects.
6. Make a quilt with your old stamps. This is a great way to preserve your stamps and create a beautiful and unique quilt that can be passed down for generations.
7. Write a letter to a friend using your old stamps. This is a fun way to use up those extra stamps you have and it will put a smile on your friend’s face when they receive your letter in the mail.
8. Donate your old stamps to a charity. There are many charities that collect stamps to help raise funds for their cause.
9. Make a stamp album. This is a great way to organize and display your stamps. You can also add new stamps to your album as you acquire them.
10. Use your old stamps to teach children about different countries. This is a fun and educational way to use your stamps. Children will love looking at the different stamps and learning about the different countries they represent.
If you looking to make money out of your old stamp collection, then selling it is the best idea. Following are the best platforms to sell them.
Best Places To Sell Old Stamps Nearby
ebay.com is the best website to sell your stamps on if you are looking for a platform that attracts buyers worldwide. That’s because eBay has a large pool of buyers, and it offers convenience in selling – you can access the site any time of day or night and anywhere as long as you have internet access.
You must register as an eBay member to sell postage stamps on the auction site. This free service provided by eBay helps you save time and money. Now you can take attractive pictures of your vintage stamps and write a detailed description that will attract prospective buyers to bid on them!
Sotheby’s is a company specializing in sales as they are an auction house. They have operations in some North American countries and Europe (the biggest office is in London). Additionally, Sotheby’s has dealings with old postage stamps on their website.
at Sotheby’s you can’t get cash immediately – your stamp will go to auction according to a schedule set by the auction house. Once your collection or single stamp is sold at auction, you will receive the money within a few days.
3. United States Postal Service
Yes – we wouldn’t be surprised if many other collectors and art enthusiasts would love to get their hands on some of the old stamps issued by the United States Postal Service (USPS)! The USPS has a philately bureau that maintains several valuable US and rarest stamps. The USPS is always keen on buying any heritage value US stamps, so don’t delay – it may be an opportunity you never get again!
Though USPS will buy specific old and rare postage stamps, they usually won’t buy new ones. The National Postal Museum in Washington DC features some of these old stamps. However, suppose you have one that’s not on display. In that case, you can contact the USPS directly or visit their website for more information.
4. Foreign Philatelic Bureaus
Many foreign postal services purchase old postage stamps each year. While they mainly do this to fund various cultural and educational programs, it’s also an excellent way to build their stamp collections of rare and hard-to-find items. One example is India Post, which collects these precious artefacts to build up a collection of everything from pre-independence stamps from the 1800s and 1900s and more contemporary issues.
India also has an interesting postal system. Its stamps are sold in the minuscule princely states of India as well! Whilst the smallest of these fiefdoms are not considered rare; their history makes them valuable to collectors and thus worth hard-earned money for some sellers.
Stanley-Gibbons is one of the oldest places to buy and sell stamps. They have a massive collection worldwide, and you can write to them and enquire about your collection. The only downside is that they’re in the UK, so you might have to pay more for shipping.
When buying and selling stamps, Stanley-Gibbons is one of the most reputable names in the business.
They deal in both old and rare and new stamps in mint condition and have collectors worldwide. Therefore, if you want to sell your stamp collection to them, it needs to meet their high standards. They cater to discerning philatelists, so your stamps should be saleable to such collectors.
6. Mystic Stamps
Like most things in life, there’s nothing too mystic about the company Mystic Stamps. They deal in old and rare postage stamps and stationery. Mystic Stamps also buys stamps from collectors of all kinds.
Generally, if you want top dollar for your stamps, you should look to sell them when they’re at least ten years old. This is because many collectors need these stamps that aren’t as rare to complete a series. They work with companies like Mystic Stamps to acquire these more common postage stamps.
7. Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace is a great place to buy and sell stamps. There is a large community of stamp collectors on Facebook, and many use the Marketplace to buy and sell stamps. The prices on Facebook Marketplace are often very competitive, and you can often find good deals on stamps.
People sell many different things on Facebook Marketplace to make some extra money. I’ve seen students selling postage stamps and other philatelic items with success. One of the reasons that Facebook Marketplace is a good option is because it’s free to use.
However, there is one downside: every post on Facebook Marketplace is only visible to people who are located within a 100-mile radius of you. So, if you want to sell stamps and make money locally, then Facebook Marketplace could be a good option.
Christie’s is a top auction house worldwide, known for auctioning paintings and sculptures to collectors. They can also auction stamps if they are rare.
Expert curators from Christie’s will evaluate your collection of old postage stamps and determine the appropriate auction date. Alternatively, you can also sell your stamps online through Christie’s. This auction house operates primarily out of London but also has locations in New York and various cities across Europe and Asia.
Do you have a bunch of old stamps that you’re unsure what to do with? Why not try selling them on Etsy? It’s easy to open up an online marketplace on Etsy. You’re good to go if you’re selling collectables and other exclusive items.
Suppose your postage stamp collection isn’t rare but is still valuable because of the number of countries and themes represented. In that case, you can still find collectors on Etsy who would be interested in buying it from you.
Etsy doesn’t provide a genuinely free marketplace – you must pay a small monthly fee to own one. However, you can try it out for free for a week or three weeks, depending on their current promotions. To make your listing stand out, write attractive descriptions, upload amazing photos and mention your price. You can sell your stamps individually or in themed collections.
Many small businesses selling newer and common postage stamps for collectors are also sold online through Amazon. These sellers are based in USA or abroad. You can also become a seller on Amazon to sell your collection of old stamps if they’re not worth any severe or big money.
All you need to do to start selling Amazon stamps is open a seller’s account. This can be quickly done in less than five minutes. Once Amazon has approved your account, you can upload excellent images and descriptions of your stamps and mention the selling price.
When you’re ready to get rid of your old postage stamps, remember to consider a few things first. To get the most money for your stamps, you’ll want to calculate the commissions charged by Amazon as well as the shipping fees. This way, you can ensure that your stamps will be seen by people worldwide and that you’ll get your money fast.
Stamps have been around since the 1840s and have not lost popularity. Even though mail delivery is not as standard as it was in the past, people still want to collect stamps. Whether you have an old stamp collection that you want to sell or if you want to know what to do with your old stamps, do contact us.